On November 14th, the city and steering committee held two open houses to gather feedback from residents on content developed to date, as well as glean input on development considerations for the future of the city. A variety of stations were available that each focused on a certain area. Here’s a general overview of the themes gathered:
What is your ‘big idea’ for Brainerd?
- Downtown streetscaping; take advantage of the Mississippi River; broadband expansion; work with surrounding entities and stakeholders to become a world-class destination by connecting trails, the river, history, and culture.
What are our core values?
- Be the hub for cultural events, experiences, public art, and music
- We recognize the importance of the Mississippi River
- To be a walkable and bikable community
- A place with economic opportunity
- We’re a community where you can live, work, play and stay
- Additional housing options for all different housing types, needs, and income is needed
- That you love your trail network, but seek to improve walkability within your neighborhoods and to the downtown
- Improve the trail network and wayfinding
- You’d like to see the overall community image and attractiveness of town improve
- Downtown should be transformed into a cultural and social hub
- We should attract new businesses to the city
- You’d like to see connectivity; between your neighborhoods, the downtown, and the river
To learn more about the feedback from the event, read the summary report here and review the mapping elements here. The feedback we received at this event will help form the foundations for the goals and policies of the plan. Thank you to all who participated!